Embedded VoIP Quality Monitoring Technology for IP Phones and IP/TDM Gateways
Specifically designed for integration into VoIP endpoints such as media gateways, IP phones, ONUs, residential gateways, mobile handsets, traditional TDM gateways, and hybrid IP/TDM systems, VQmon®/EP monitors voice calls and produces call quality estimates that can be reported as MOS scores and R factors through the media path using RTCP XR (RFC 3611) and SIP RTCP Summary Reports (RFC 6035).
VQmon/EP detects packet loss and jitter buffer discard events, extracts key information from DSP software, and produces real-time call quality scores and diagnostic data. VQmon/EP is widely used in the industry and has been integrated into the products of over 50 equipment manufacturers, among them Voice over IP solutions fromand .
VQmon/EP generates listening and conversational quality MOS scores and R factors and a wide range of diagnostic data, making these available through an API as raw metrics, RTCP XR, and SIP RTCP Summary Report payloads. In addition, VQmon/EP provides real-time call quality thresholding, supporting either alert generation or automatic configuration.
VQmon/EP uses an advanced VoIP perceptual quality estimation algorithm that incorporates support for key international standards including ITU-T P.564, ITU-T G.107, ITU-T G.1020, ETSI TS 101 329-5 Annex E, and IETF RFC 3611 and RFC 6035. VQmon/EP includes measurements of time-varying IP impairments (typically caused by network congestion) and has been independently shown to provide significantly more accurate and stable metrics than other algorithms such as G.107 (the E-model).
VQmon/EP Features and Specifications
- Compact code size - 6-30 Kbytes
- Efficient processing - <500 instructions per second
- Listening and Conversational Quality MOS scores (MOS-LQ, MOS-CQ)
- Listening and Conversational Quality R factors (R-LQ, R-CQ)
- Burst and Gap Call Quality Scores (R-Gap, R-Burst)
- Narrowband and Wideband R factor and MOS Scores
- Degradation factors - reports severity of quality degradation due to packet loss, discard, delay, codec, and other factors
- Supports RTCP XR and SIP RTCP Summary Reports
- Burst and Gap Loss/Discard Statistics
- Supports VoIP, TDM, and hybrid TDM/VoIP applications
- Support for packet, frame, and time-based jitter buffers
- Support for a wide range of ITU, cellular, industry-standard, and proprietary codecs
- Cumulative and Interval Metrics
- Complies with or supports ITU-T P.564, G.107, ETSI TS101329-5 Annex E, RFC 3611, RFC 6035
For more information, see theor